OK I admit it. I am not the most organized person in the world. Stage Wife1, although she does not know me well, can attest to that. And as an aside, Stage Wife1 might very well be the most organized person in the world. But that's not important now.
What is important is that an hour before leaving for my job interview today I glanced at the email confirmation and learned some disturbing things. 1. The attached application was to be completed and brought to the interview. 2. The attached application was 16 pages long. 3. I was unaware of the location or cleanliness status of any interview-worthy shirts. 4. I was, shall we say, not yet dressed for my day.
Add to this the idea that I had only a vague notion of what this position was, and you have a recipe for something approaching...
the best interview ever.
No kidding. I had to jump up and leave to avoid being put to work running the company on the spot. I now have a workable template for future interviews, and I can also provide a unique approach to job-hunting that I have not seen offered elsewhere. All that time you've wasted in the past honing your resume and preparing for interviews that didn't lead anywhere? You won't get that time back. Use The Chris Barsam System for Acing Interviews Without Effort! I didn't end up getting an offer, but still.
I had a dream.
I was the manager of an extremely low budget live theater operation. We were performing Cinderella. We had intended to invest in special effects but financial limitations, well, limited us - so for instance when Fairy Godmother made her entrance there were no fireworks, concussion grenades, or flashes. What we had instead was Director1's recorded voice, synthesized to edit out all abnormalities, yelling "Flash Box!" We did not have smoke, either. What we did have were scantily clad young women carrying large cards with SMOKE! written in bold letters. The dream did not last long enough for me to say what our balance sheet looked like or even how this production turned out, but in the next dream I was skiing down the side of a volcano. I think the moral of the story is that if you are involved in theatre - or pretty much anything - it has to be for the love of it, and you have to do it now before the dream changes.
The pictures sent by D1 are spectacular. http://www.snowjumpstump.com/cinderella/ Looking at them I nearly forgot it was our show, and not some Broadway tour. Judging from the pictures, I am, alas, not much in our show. Which is surprising, based on the amount of perspiration I generate while the show is going on. The truth is I am very excited about the stage time I do have, the lack of photographic evidence notwithstanding. Now the big challenge is focus. I might be trying to avoid stepping on Stage Wife1's dress (and for some reason also Dancing Girl2 and Dancing Girl3 and Step Sister1 and Fairy Godmother1 and Queen1's dresses), but that does not excuse me from hearing my pseudo Tango music in the first scene or executing a couple of well-timed head snaps upon hearing that the Prince is Giving a Ball.
If only I could remember the words to that song...wait a minute. "The Prince is Giving a Ball" are the ONLY words. Golden.
http://www.snowjumpstump.com/cinderella/
No comments:
Post a Comment