I have a problem. Whenever our Fairy Godmother (call her FG1) has a scene I hear her lines delivered by Arnold Schwarzenegger. Let me explain.
In the movie Terminator 2 Arnold's cyborg is programmed to be the protector of Sarah Connor and her son John, against a newer model shape-changing liquid metal cyborg that is trying to kill them. Arnold is, in effect, the Fairy Godmother of that movie. A few lines of similar dialogue lend credence to my premise. I paraphrase, because of course I don't know verbatim dialogue from either piece.
FG1 (opening scene, after winding the key, to the audience) - I'll see you all of you later.
Arnold - I'll be back.
FG1 - Hold my hand.
Arnold - Come with me if you want to live.
FG1 (before the ball, in response to Cindy's question about creating a team of horses) - It doesn't work like that. I can't create something out of nothing. I can only create something out of something else.
Arnold (in response to John Connor's question about the liquid metal cyborg turning himself into a bomb) - It doesn't work that way...but it can form solid metal shapes...(like) knives and stabbing weapons.
FG1 - Why were you weeping?
Arnold - Why do you cry?
FG1 - I'm your Fairy Godmother
Arnold - My mission is to protect you.
Cindy 1 - I didn't know I had a fairy godmother.
John Connor - Who sent you?
Arnold - You did. 35 years from now you reprogrammed me to be your protector here - in this time.
FG1 - Most people don't know they have one.
John Connor - This is deep.
Me - See what I mean?
So I was sitting in the audience and I became aware that King 1 was standing on stage looking at me and saying my name. I was supposed to be on stage as his Valet 1 at that moment and completely forgot. I mentioned this to my dance partner, Stage Wife 1, and she asked:
Did you write it down?
No.
Why didn't you write it down?
At the time of that assignment I did not have a script.
Do you have a script now?
Yes, but...
And are you writing it down now?
Well, no...
Why aren't you writing it down?
Well, because I'm not sure...
Are you relying on your memory? Because your memory is (unprintable).
The amazing thing is that this situation, with very little modification, is just like real marriage.
At least from what I've seen on TV shows like Modern Family...
No comments:
Post a Comment